Sunday, November 21, 2010

Decision Time

Ok, I'm to the point where a critical decision needs to be made.  The frame, suspension, and drivelines are installed, cleaned, painted and assembled.  So one, maybe two decisions need to be made.  First, I can't do anything else without an engine or the body ready to go back on the frame.  If I decide to do the body first the final decision on the color.  I think I've decided to paint it the same color as dad's old car.  

 But I'm toying with the idea of putting a decal on it that is on our parts car.  Here's a picture of it.  Click on the picture for a larger view.
It has the stripes down the fender behind the door and "GT6" at the bottom with the stripe across the bottom.  I haven't seen it on any other cars I've looked at so I'm still deciding on whether or not it's original to the car.  And if I decide on doing the decal, what color do I do it?  
So, engine or body, and stripes or no.  

But while you're waiting for that decision, here's some pictures of what we've done so far.
Here's one of the new brake rotors.  One of the few parts I've purchased beyond bearings and stuff.
Here's the passenger side front assembly on the frame.  I am using the 5 gallon bucket as a stand and as you can see it's slid way over on the frame because the front assembly weighs a lot compared to the frame and it almost tipped over on me.
Here's a top view of it.  Even the spring is from the original car.  About 90% of the pieces have been individually wire-brushed or sand blasted then primed and painted.  That's one of the reasons why it takes a lot of time to get what seems like a little bit of work. 
Here's a picture of one of the rear brake assemblies before disassembly and cleaning.  The gear you see on the right side of the rear cylinder is a self adjusting mechanism that is unique to this year of car.  This is why I got the parts car.  It had 2 good rear assemblies that had this mechanism and my car only had one.  But it sure has been nice to salvage nuts and bolts off the other car and to seen how things go together.  It's already paid for itself.
Close up of the front assembly.  It looked like the picture above of the rear assembly before I got to it.  Not anymore!
Here's the frame with transmission, drivetrain, differential, and rear suspension and braking.  Looks good if you ask me.
Here's a view of the front.  Now the bucket is in the center again because both sides are on and it's balanced.  The wood block is there to support the transmission.
Transmission cleaned with new gaskets and mounts.  I did not paint the transmission, it cleaned up nice with just a wire wheel and toothbrush.
Here's it's on the car.  It's small compared to modern transmissions.
And here's the rear differential.  Didn't paint it either.  
So there's an update.  Sorry it's been so long, but things have been busy around here.