So, this blog thing is not for me. I can't remember what I posted last even though it's been one post. So here's where I think I left it off:
Looks like a mess, and it is. This was the most time consuming process of the whole project so far. There is so much crammed into the little dash, it's hard to tell what's going on. Just wait until we have to put it back together. That's going to be fun.
As you can see we've got most of the interior out now.
Both doors are off, the windshield is out, and the rear hatch is off.
Here's a view of the transmission (gear box) from inside the cab. It was actually pretty light. I lifted it out of the car by myself because I am so strong.
Here's a view of the cramped garage. On the left with the reflector is the hood, or the more correct British term is bonnet. The 2 doors are below it, and the windshield is on the ground to the right. If you look closely, the exhaust is hanging on the wall behind the broom but above the plywood. We've had to be creative on where we put stuff. Adds a little excitement.
Here's a close up view of the steering column. Most of these pictures are taken so we can see how things go back together. The awesomeness of digital photography is displayed.
Here's a view of the driver's side floor. You can see the clutch and brake pedals. Very little rust.
So now everything is out of the interior of the car. The sheet metal is in great shape. The rust color you see is just flakes on the floor. Structurally it feels pretty good. We'll know for sure after it's sandblasted.
Another view of the stripped interior. At this point, the body is ready to be separated from the frame. This involves 12 bolts. They came off with no problems and this is what we were left with:
This is what the car looks like without the body. Just frame. Bry and I were able to pick up the body, one on each side, and walk it out of the garage. We set it down on the driveway.
The body itself is 9' long. It was a bit heavy, but nothing we couldn't handle.
Here's a view of the rear end of the car, or the fat butt as Bry would say. It's got one leaf spring that supports both wheels for the suspension. If you look close, you can see the shocks with coil springs on them. Those are not stock. Those were added by the previous owner. I'm not sure why. I wonder if they helped.
Here's a front view of the removed body.
It had been raining this week, so we decided to pull the frame out of the garage and put the body back in. So we removed the rest of the components off the frame so we could take it out and put the body back in the garage. Here's what it looked like moving the frame:
As you can see, the frame is pretty light. Even though Bry is the beefcake, the frame couldn't have weighed more than 200 lbs. Talk about easy.
Here's a view of the whole frame. The next step for this is to have it sandblasted and powder coated. It's going to look super nice when we're through with it.
Our work space. It's actually not as bad as it looks. This was before cleanup.